Plumbing emergencies seem to occur at the worst possible time, and trying to tackle these yourself, without proper training and expertise, only compounds the situation.
Read on to learn how to handle plumbing emergencies, why you need the help of a professional, and the answer to the question, “How do I find an emergency plumber near me?”.
Types of Plumbing Emergencies
Being able to recognize plumbing emergencies can help you be prepared to respond quickly and properly when issues arise.
One of the most problematic and severe plumbing emergencies is a burst pipe. When pipes freeze, corrode, or come under too much pressure, they can rupture and unleash massive flooding.
Watch for sudden drops in water pressure, leaks around pipes, and pooling water where it shouldn’t be; these signs can indicate a pending pipe break which can ruin floors, walls, and belongings very quickly.
During freezing temperatures, allowing faucets to have a continuous drip and opening cabinet doors to expose the pipes to interior room warmth may be helpful, but if your pipes do freeze, shut off the main valve immediately.
Raw sewage backing up into your home creates some of the most hazardous plumbing situations you’ll ever encounter. Slow drains, gurgling sounds, and nasty odors are clear indicators you may have a backup on your hands.
Tree roots, grease buildup, collapsed pipes, and bad drainage slopes can all cause major blockages. Avoid using any water until the issue is safely resolved.
If you notice a rotten egg smell, no matter how faint, you likely have a serious gas leak. Don’t waste time testing outlets or switches; any spark could cause an explosion.
Shut off the gas valve carefully if you can safely reach it, then evacuate the house and call emergency services immediately.
A completely stopped-up drain or toilet can be an emergency at the worst time. Avoid overuse of chemical products or DIY measures as these may cause damage to the pipes.
If you are unable to clear a stubborn clog, call a professional plumber for drain cleaning services to quickly get your water flowing properly again and restore sanitary conditions.
No Hot Water
This issue may not seem extremely urgent, but it can become an emergency very quickly if you have small children or elderly family members at home relying on hot water for their daily care.
If your water heater quits and you can’t get the hot water going again, turn off all systems to the unit and seek professional help to restore it.
Advantages of Licensed Plumbers
When plumbing emergencies occur, you need solutions fast. Licensed plumbers have the background, capabilities, and resources to efficiently handle any plumbing crisis. Here’s why you should turn to an emergency plumber:
- Proper training and experience: Licensed plumbers complete extensive vocational training and on-the-job apprenticeships to accurately diagnose issues and implement effective repairs.
- Compliance with codes and standards: Plumbers must stay up-to-date on plumbing codes and standards to ensure repairs meet safety and legal requirements.
- Specialized tools and equipment: Plumbers have professional-grade tools such as drain snakes, pipe cameras, and leak detectors, as well as large scale equipment, allowing quality repairs homeowners can’t perform.
- Insurance protection: Reputable plumbers carry liability and property damage insurance to cover any damages or injuries that occur. They also take responsibility for any faulty repairs.
Avoiding DIY Repairs
When faced with any plumbing emergency, it’s very tempting to try quick repairs yourself to avoid calling a professional. However, taking on complex issues without proper training and equipment can make the situation worse.
Attempting repairs that you don’t fully understand can lead to improper diagnosis of the real issue, use of incorrect materials and tools, and failure to locate all affected areas.
You also risk improperly shutting off utilities, disturbing asbestos in old pipes, exacerbating pipe corrosion, violating building codes, and damaging your plumbing further while trying to access it.
Some common mistakes made by those attempting an emergency plumbing repair include cracking pipes by over-tightening joint pliers, electrocution when working on gas water heaters, or allowing dangerous sewer gas to enter their living space by improperly removing vent pipes.
Other common issues include cross-contaminating fresh water and sewage lines and sub-par drain cleaning jobs leading to worse clogs and backups. Even small errors can cascade into expensive problems and corrections down the road.
How Do I Find a Licensed Emergency Plumber Near Me?
In a plumbing emergency, you need fast help. These tips can help you quickly find qualified local plumbers:
- Ask neighbors, friends, or family, who they recommend from personal experience. Satisfied customers are your best source for quality contractors.
- Search online for “emergency plumber near me” and browse top local results and company websites emphasizing 24/7 service.
- Check home services review sites to read feedback from people who have used plumbers in your area. This provides insight into their work quality, timeliness, customer service, and more.
- Verify licensing directly through your state contractor board’s license lookup. Licensed plumbers should readily provide their info.
- Call plumbers to ask about their emergency experience, training procedures, and specialties, and get a written estimate upfront before booking.
Trust Baumbach Plumbing to Minimize the Disruptions of Plumbing Emergencies
Plumbing emergencies seem to happen when we least expect them, often at the most inconvenient times. Knowing what to look for, taking quick action, and relying on professional expertise can help minimize disruptions and damages.
However, when it comes to making actual repairs, resist any temptation to improvise DIY solutions as the risks are not worth it. Instead, turn off the main water source and call Baumbach Plumbing; their licensed professionals have the expertise to resolve issues safely and efficiently.
Baumbach Plumbing has been supporting local homeowners through plumbing crises since 1928. Our team is available 24/7 to quickly dispatch a licensed technician when you search for an “emergency plumber near me.” Contact us today at (703) 250-4200 or online to get your plumbing emergency resolved the right way, right away.